It
was a dark and stormy night…
…really though, all Hemingway jokes aside, it
was 10pm on a humid, rainy Sunday night. We had just finished watching the
women’s gymnastics Olympic trials and were heading to bed. Matt needed to pick
a new book to read, so we headed over to the bookshelf in the dining room. I
straddled the yoga ball and gently bounced a bit to loosen my tight hips as we
browsed titles. After deciding not to choose anything – it didn’t seem sensible
to start a new book with a baby on the way – I stood up, took three steps into
the living room…and my water broke! For a brief moment, I convinced myself I
had merely peed myself; however, I hadn’t laughed or sneezed.
I carefully navigated to our bedroom
upstairs, and sat cross-legged on the floor on a towel talking to the doctor on
call. After I told him about the yoga ball, he joked about introducing the
“Chelsea method” to his patients who wanted to start labor. He instructed me to
head to the hospital. I called both of our moms, Matt’s sister, and my bestie
Chris to let them know that the Mini would be making an appearance within the
next 24 hours. Matt ran next door to give an extra key to our neighbor –
resident expert Mom of the block – and I sort of wandered around gathering the
last few things for my hospital bag.
After we finished packing, I realized we
would be returning from the hospital to whatever condition we left the house
in, and proceeded to tidy up the living room a bit and do the dishes that were
in the sink. There was a light, excited energy surrounding us, as the neighbor
took “action shots” and we made our way out of the front door.
After securing the car seat base, and loading
our baby gear, we were off to the hospital. As many times as I drove to
prenatal yoga or we made trips into Oakland, we never could have even created a
more perfect journey. Because it was 11pm, there was no traffic and the cover
of night was perfectly serene.
Fast forward through all of the boring stuff
– parking, checking in at security, waiting in triage, and being wheeled to our
labor and delivery room – and, we found ourselves getting ready for the Mini’s
arrival. In an attempt to kick start contractions, we did a few dozen laps
around the L&D suites and stretched on a yoga ball. We met with my doctor,
and he recommended that we both get some sleep. Almost as soon as I settled
down in bed, I started to experience some mildly uncomfortable back labor and,
of course, didn’t sleep a wink.
At around 4am, the doctor decided to start me
on Pitocin. Contractions came on strong and fast. I was calm and quiet and
focused on my breathing; however, as the hours went by, my contractions became
extremely intense and erratic. Matt and I tried every trick in the book to deal
with the physical discomfort – walking (well, shuffling along with the IV pole
and stopping every few minutes to “slow dance” through a contraction), using
the yoga ball, light massage – though my contractions never balanced out and
turned more consistent.
After my year of trials and tribulations
leading up to back surgery, and such a quick and complete healing process, I
became very emotionally guarded when it came to experiencing pain anywhere near
my back. Last fall, I had some issues with back spasms and had nearly
debilitating panic attacks when faced with a level of pain that I thought was
gone forever. The severity of the Pitocin-induced contractions cause emotional
fear and stress too overwhelming to deal with. Although I had hoped for a
completely natural birth, I knew it was time for an epidural.
Once the epidural was setup, I need to pass a
few tests, one of which was whether my blood pressure would spike. Just as the
anesthesiologist said “Let me know if she goes above 90,” my iPod played the
Beatles song “In
My Life,” my wedding procession song. I burst into
tears, as did Matt, my blood pressure spiked, and we had ourselves a funny but
deeply touching moment. I had been at 2cm since the previous Friday; however,
between 7am and noon, I quickly went from 2 to 3 to 5 to 8…and then it was time
to get the show on the road.
After
just over an hour of pushing, the Mini arrived. As part of our birth plan, Matt
announced the gender to me – “We have a son!” On July 2 at 1:11pm, at 7 pounds 1 ounce and 20.5 inches, Grant Duncan
Cooper was born.
Nothing will ever truly prepare you for being
a parent – and, trust me, Matt and I read our share of books, listened to more
than enough advice, and spent many nights in bed talking about how our lives
would change. As I looked down on our son’s face for the first time, it was as
if I was completing the final phase of a lifelong transformation -- the cocoon
fell away and my heart soared on new wings. Forgive my flowery prose but
holding Grant in my arms with Matt at my side was the single most happy and
perfect moment in my life.
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment