Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Little By Little

This weekend was another long, hard, workingman's holiday. Dad finished rebuilding Poppy's original picnic table. He was able to save about six boards and used the old campy green trim color. We took apart, cleaned, and spray-painted the medicine chest we saved for my bathroom. I painted the well cover at K2 and stained the banisters and railings of the deck. These are only the things I can remember, and only a tiny portion of the huge list of things Dad, Matt and I have completed in the past for weeks but everything is moving along.

We used to be the people at the beach, laughing and pointing at the people who were doing housework; and, now, we're those sad people working every weekend. On the bright side, K2 is finished and ready to house the Coopers for the wedding (and become a rental property shortly after). The house looks beautiful. Friends and strangers have all stopped to say how wonderful the flowers and house and yard and garage look. K2 has become the bright yellow welcome to Chipman Lane.

As far as the new house, we're sort of holding our breath that it will be finished in time. The builder is a really great guy - really knows his stuff. Dad keeps adding things on, slowing down the crew and adding days onto the finish date. The grass seed is going down today, and it looks like we might be blessed with rain all week. The cabinets, granite and appliances should all be finished by the end of the week. Carpet and asphalt next week. Garage should be finished sometime next week. Painting is going to be a long haul I think, but it will get done.

As soon as we get the keys, it will be a flurry of moving furniture from K2 back to the new house, buying pieces we need, cleaning, organizing, making beds, getting the kitchen in order, rotating stuff between the shed, big garage and little garage, hanging art, etc. etc. etc. And don't forget that I'm my own wedding planner!

Matt and I knew what we were getting into, although we underestimated the amount of work a tad. We are still 100% happy that we moved, and that we can help with the new house. The way I see it, these are all times, experiences, stories that Matt and I can tell every year on our anniversary, to our kids, to the new generation of Chipman Lane campers.

Now if I could just get a few extra hours of sleep, and this knot out of my shoulder blade...

No comments:

Post a Comment